Every spring and fall you will come across the situation of lash shedding. So what does this mean for someone who has not had this happen yet? You will notice your eyelash extensions seem to be “falling out faster”. This may cause you to become upset with your Lash Stylist, but unfortunately it is something you can not control.
Fall lash shed will only last one cycle, which lasts between 60-90 days. You will notice it starting the end of September/beginning of October and last until December or up to two infills. Don’t believe me? Look at the amount of hair on your scalp that is also shedding.
We tend to have more lashes during the summer to protect the skin from the UV ray increase summer brings. The summers drastic and intense heat changes in certain regions of the world causing some lashes to go into the telogen stage faster. while also having around 10 more days in the cycle than usual. Which will cause them to shed during the fall lash shed. Dry skin from humidity changes are a big reason for lash shed due to preventing the follicle from getting proper nourishment to grow healthy. This will cause the natural lash to become brittle, dry and to prematurely shed.
So, what can you do?
- Invest in NovaLash’s Lash+doctor. This hormone-free product will help keep your lashes strong and healthy and is extension safe. It will also keep some telogen lashes a little longer so you don’t shed as many lashes as fast. Seriously, it’s life changing even for those without extensions.
- Make sure you are using the correct aftercare products, while following ALL rules your Lash Stylist tells you. You do not want to encourage losing any more natural lashes than the fall lash shed will cause.
- Take your vitamins that sit in your cabinet collecting dust like mine, more often than usual to promote a speed up in getting those anagen lashes growing. Talk with your doctor as to what is best for you. This will not cause more time between infills but will make sure they are growing back in at a faster pace. Step back when you see your lashes growing back in because too many of specific vitamins will cause your lash cycle to speed up.
- Exercise to get your blood flowing. With season changes comes body and habit changes. People tend to get busy with season shifts of life and stop hitting the gym as often. Yoga is a great way to get nutrients to your head area with blood flow. This also goes with the next bullet point.
- Keep your stress level low. Stress can cause premature shedding. Try daily meditation to help destress your thoughts.
- Switch up to an infill appointment that is a little sooner than usual to keep your fullness. Talk to your Lash Stylist for their recommendation on changing up your schedule if you need to.
Keep the mantra of “this too shall pass” on days you may feel like your going to wake up with ZERO eyelash extensions. We can’t control it so we might as well help out our lashes in any way we can.
Keep your lashes healthy & fall ready!