What is retention? Retention is the controlling as many factors to affect how long and well your eyelash extensions lashes stay adhered your natural lashes. There are factors that can affect your natural lashes to make them brittle and prematurely shed but also break down the adhesive causing your extensions to literally pop off. That is why it is a good idea to look at a lash that sheds off to see if the natural lash is still attached. Seeing a natural lash and extension does NOT mean it’s bad. It actually tells you that the bond stayed like it was supposed to and that you were not causing the adhesive to break down. So today let’s discuss retention of your lash extensions, specifically the things that affect your retention beyond your control.
Unfortunately, this is a thing. With an educated Lash Stylist, they should go over proper aftercare and inform you about possible retention problems you can control. Aftercare and retention rules go hand in hand. So always pay attention when discussing these things with your Lash Stylist.
If you start losing lashes after 4+ days after your full set like crazy, it is going to be due to something you are doing at home. So before you call your Lash Stylist up be sure to check controlled retention rules, here.. And remember it also may be something beyond your control like the following:
- Extreme weather changes like hot temperature, high humidity or sudden cold weather. These drastic changes can affect your retention because it can throw off the adhesive curing properly. Going from a perfectly humid room to below 0 degrees can shock your adhesive if not fully cured.
- Hormonal imbalances and thyroid issues. These two are the biggest culprits for causing eyelash extension/lash cycle issues. You are usually asked about these two in a consultation but some people are unaware they may have an issue. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or want to learn more.
- Hormonal, thyroid and antidepressant prescriptions. These 3 categories have also been known to affect retention. Never stop taking a prescription to help your lashes stay longer. Talk to your doctor about any questions you may have.
- Vitamins. Some vitamins can actually speed up your lash cycle causing your lashes to grow faster than you are used to. Which can cause faster shedding to make you think it is something with application. In my personal experience prenatal vitamins tend to speed up length of lash cycle. Always consult with your doctor with any questions related to this as well.
- There is a condition out there in which people pull and pick out their natural eyelashes. Some people may not realize they do this. This causes gaps and the lash follicle can go inactive and stop growing a new lash. Inform and consult with your doctor if you feel you may do this.
- Body chemistry. Unfortunately, some people’s body chemistry just rejects eyelash extensions. No matter what steps they and their Lash Stylist take it doesn’t work for them.
- Lash shed season. In spring and fall you will notice your lashes do a big overhaul and shed out. It seems like all at once. This is your body’s way of preparing for seasonal change. Many people aren’t aware this includes your lashes. But it does!
- Pregnancy and pregnancy related medications(including birth control). Pregnancy causes hormonal changes which can change your lash cycle and your retention. And related medications do just the same thing. Consult with your doctor if you have any questions.
**Always ask your doctor if you have any questions related to medical reasons that may cause issues with your natural eyelashes. NEVER stop taking a prescription to help your lashes retention! Lash Stylists are not medical doctors. We simply are here to help beautify your lashes, not give medical advice. **
You may not be able to control any of these, but it’s nice to be aware before you start the investment of lashes. Be aware if your Lash Stylist does not mention these things to you that you may not be getting the best or safest quality of service!
Keep your lashes healthy & retention great!
Penny, Rebecca. “11 Reasons for Eyelash Retention Issues”. https://www.pennylash.com/eyelash-extension-retention/. 31 March 2017.
Church, Molly. “5 Client-Caused Eyelash Retention Issues”. https://www.beautylaunchpad.com/eyelashmag/5-client-caused-eyelash-retention-issues. 23 March 2017.